Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Death in our house





If you remember my post from last week about my daughters pet rat, you'll be sad to learn that the rat was humainly euthanized this evening. My daughter basically loved it to death. She took it everywhere she went, dressed her up, fed her pop tarts and fruit loops, and tried to give the rat a drink of water out of her cup.

The rat, named mouse, came down with a cold 5 days ago and never recovered. I tried leaving her in her cage for the past two days, but she didn't eat or drink....everytime I passed the cage, she gathered enough energy to climb on the cage door showing me that she wanted out.

She was dying and she didn't want to be alone.

You probably think I'm crazy, but I love animals...even tiny rats.

I was holding her tonight waiting for her to die when I noticed a piece of food stuck in her mouth. She tried to eat, but couldn't. I couldn't get the food out of her mouth. She couldn't open up enough for me to get it. I broke down in tears and jumped in my car. Off to the emergency vet we went. I cried the whole way. I'm sure the lady at the front desk thought I was crazy when I could hardly push aside my tears to speak. I asked that she be euthanized. I paid $20.44 and took her home in a box. My husband will bury her tomorrow when he gets home from work.

My daughter doesn't understand what happened to "Mouse". I told her that she's all gone, but she keeps telling me, "we will get her tomorrow okay? She'll be home tomorrow". When I tell her no she won't she yells at me.

We haven't buried the rat yet. Would it be beneficial for her to see the burial? Or should I just go get her another rat and claim that it is in fact the same "Mouse"? I don't know what to do. Help me!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. I can remember losing animals as a kid and it sucks. I have no opinion if she should be included in the burial - but going to get a new one will certainly help. I'm just so sad for you. And it's well worth the $20 to put it out of it's misery.

Hey it's Thursday, I can't wait for the update..

Coach B. said...

I won't be going to see Jenny. There is a group of family who are carpooling to go see her, and somehow, I was left out of the invite :(

I'm the most popular kid on the block when people need help, but after they get what they want, I don't hear from anyone.

Since Jenny left for treatment, nobody has called to talk, invite me to dinner, or even said thanks.

But it's all about Jenny...not her inconsiderate family :)

Anji's School of Sensuality said...

I am sorry to hear about mouse, she looked like a very nice rat. Evan is lucky to have a mom that loves animals so much.

Perhaps a new adult size rat might be able to take the all the lovin evan has to give.

You are a good person to help mouse pass on.

[lisa] said...

You do not know me. I came across your blog after watching Intervention. :)

I was listening to Radio From Hell (X96) a couple days ago and Bill was taking about a pet they just lost. He said the burial did wonders for his son. Made him really *get it*. Things die. We bury them. We miss them. We grieve and eventually we move on. Some faster than others. But it helps us comprehend how life works... the good and the bad.

It all seemed so natural.

RIP mouse

Lisa (the lover of all things fury)

Tinabean said...

I'm so sorry about Mouse.
Poor little Evan.
I really think that you should include her in the burial it will help her understand.
Then I think it would help to maybe go get mouse's little brother or sister to come live with you.
Just a suggestion Hell you know me what do I know???

potsy said...

I'm so sad now :(

What a tragic tale of love and loss.

Hopefully your daughter will look back on this one day and realize what a loving and compassionate mother she has. :)

P.S. I say tell your daughter the truth...but then again, I'm the last person in the world who should be giving anyone advice.

Wishing you and yours much love, peace, and happiness.