Friday, December 12, 2008

She's home!

Four days ago, I went with my family to attend Jenny's graduation from the Ark. It was the coolest, most emotional thing I have ever experienced. Her counselors talked about the day she arrived. She was high, skinny, smelled of smoke, and all the color was washed from her face.

On graduation day, she was eight months prego, pink full cheeks, and her eyes were twinkling. She is back! While in rehab, she learned how to crochet. Almost everyone in the room was proudly wearing a scarf that she had made them. She had taught all of the women in rehab how to crochet...it was the men's job to roll the womens yarn into balls...I guess it makes crochet easier.

Anyway, I hired her to work my reception desk for the holiday season. On her first day, she was 1/2 hour late. I have to give her slack...it was her first day in the real world. After work, she went to Michaels to buy some more yarn for the scarfs she is making the whole family for Christmas. She was to report home by 5:00pm. At 6:30, nobody had heard from her. We all panicked and expected the worst...a relapse.

But shortly after 6:30 she arrived at home sobbing. She had locked the keys in the car at Michael's. She only knew two phone numbers (it has been 115 days since she has used a phone). Nobody answered at those two nubmers (her mom and sister Jodi). She had a brief panick attack and then she pulled it together and asked someone for help. This kind man brought her home to get the spare key and then took her back to unlock the car.

I'm sure Jenny will have many days like her first day of sobriety...and I hope she handles them just as well. It would have been so much easier to call a drug friend, but instead she took the long way.

I did a photoshoot with Jenny yesterday to celebrate her pregnancy. I'll try to get them edited and posted soon so you can see how beautiful she is!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm shedding happy tears. I'm so proud of her and can't wait to see her again. WOW! What a difference a little time and belief can bring to someone who once felt hopeless and lifeless. I'm so very proud of you Meagan, and so very honored to be part of your life and Jenny's support system. God bless her!

Waiting for the One=-) said...

I have chills reading about Jen. She is such a strong and brave person to go through all she has been through.
We are so happy for her.
She will be a wonderful mom.
Maybe we can all get together and do some scarfs. Im still trying to learn.

Tinabean said...

It's so good to hear that she is home and doing okay.
I can't wait to see her maternity pictures I bet they're beautiful.
You are such a good cousin for being so supportive.
I hope I can meet her someday.